Thursday, July 17, 2008

Keeping the Kids Busy

With Trenton and Bella becoming their own "person" more and more everyday, my life seems to have become even more centered around them and their wants/needs.
Don't get me wrong I have no problem with that, It is just becoming more evident as they get older.
This summer they have kept me on my toes!
Trenton is 10, he started the summer off with a trip to New York (which I still haven't blogged about...sorry Trenton), golf/tennis camp, another round of golf camp, followed by snorkel camp. On top of his normal play dates, golfing, tutoring twice a week and guitar lessons.
Bella is only 4 so she is a little easier. She attends a summer program at her preschool 3 half days a week and has had a few play dates of her own.

When we are All at home we garden, play on the water slide and craft.
Crafting has always been a big part of my parenting. We paint, cut, glue, draw, in general create something everyday. During these times are when I get unprompted hugs, kisses and am told I am the Best Mom EVER ;)
I know these are memories they will have with them forever...
What Kid Crafting have you done this summer?
Here are a couple easy ones we have done

Homemade Play Doh
We used Martha's recipe






Bella and I made the Play Doh weeks ago and it is still good!

Recycle broken crayons to create Rainbow Crayons


Remove wrappers from Crayons (not always easy to do...try soaking in water overnight)
Break Crayons into 1/2 inch pieces


Fill aluminum foil lined muffin tins or metal cookie cutters half way with the Crayons
Bake Crayons in a preheated 300 degree oven for 5-7 minutes
Melt them just enough for the colors to Blend, not to liquefy into one color
Cool for 30 minutes
Remove from Foil

And Look what you have!

~Patricia

3 comments:

Patty said...

Wow you are busy as are the kids. They will remember these things for years to come. And hopefully they will pass it on. I remember baking with my grandmother. Not a lot but I do remember it. And the first cake I made from scratch which I thought was scraps...I of course made a chocolate cake and my mom was at her weekend job. I would call with a question. She was a part time real estate sales lady and the other ladies in the office pinch hit for her. They informed her they all wanted a piece of the cake they had helped to make. I was 8 and determined to learn. So you are instilling that in the kids. They can make anything they put their minds to. They grow up too quick...enjoy. pd

Anonymous said...

note to self:
Stop throwing broken crayons away!!

thanks for the excellent ideas! my little fellow is just turning 3 and i am always looking for fun craft stuff for us to do together!!

thanks again.

Jamie said...

I love the crayons! We do playdoh too and the kids love it. Now I have to try the crayons